Today with the cost of living on the increase almost daily, its easy to miss simple ways we can save money. One area that is extremely costly is motoring. Modern civilization is built around the car. Having one is expensive, not having one is at best awkward, at worst downright impossible.
There are many obvious ways to cut down the costs of running a car. In the UK you could get a small engined car with very low emissions, thereby reducing or in some cases legally avoiding road tax altogether. A smaller engined car can have better fuel economy. A diesel engined car can be more fuel-efficient, but diesel is more expensive in the UK.
Well here are some simple tips to get the most out of your car, while spending as little as possible on fuel.
- Empty your boot/trunk: It is a fact that the more stuff you carry around in the car, the harder the engine has to work to carry it, and therefore more fuel is burned. I’m not suggesting you leave the kids at home on their own to cut down on fuel, though you may enjoy the journey more without backseat arguing lol
- Remove roof racks and top boxes: These cause excessive drag on the car, again making your engine work harder. Only fit them when you need to use them. If you use it to go on holiday, once you arrive, remove it and keep it in your accommodation.
- Ensure that your tires have their correct air pressure: low tire pressure will also decrease the fuel efficiency of your engine.
- Turn off your air-conditioning (if you have the weather to use it lol): Your aircon and all the electrics in your car put more demand on your engine too. If you’re lucky enough to live in a warm climate, open the windows on both sides of the car to let the air flow through.
- Drive efficiently: If you are more careful when driving you can reduce the amount of fuel used. If you can avoid busy times, you will miss the traffic jams and avoid wasting fuel sitting around with the engine running. When on the motorway/freeway, allow yourself more time and reduce your speed to 55mph, this is the speed that you get the best fuel consumption figures out of your engine.
- Change your fuel: If you drive a diesel engine car, consider using bio-diesel, its cheaper and is less harmful to the environment. The performance of your car may reduce slightly, but its worth it. (seek professional advice first).
- If you’re waiting to pick a friend or family member up from somewhere, they may take some time saying their goodbyes, turn your engine off and save fuel.
- Get you car serviced regularly and keep the oil topped up, make sure your car is running the best it can.
- Combine journeys: If you need to go shopping, time the trip to coincide with dropping the kids off at school or with other errands. Reducing the amount of journeys and mileage covered.
I’m sure there are other ways to reduce fuel consumption, I hope at least some of these are of help to you.